[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Public]
Secondary: None

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
Quote by Deathkoil
Quote by Pallygrrl
Mmmm...Paladins ^_^

I think I changed something in my UI, so here's an update.

Very nice UI pally. I remember you opening a private thread with me about UIs, and you had said that you were starting from scratch. Nice job in making your custom UI!

DK

Thanks DK
Here's mine.
Quote by Radriegal
Here's mine.

Omg, clicker! Epic fail.

--
Quote by Valectra
Quote by Radriegal
Here's mine.

Omg, clicker! Epic fail.

Omg you guys make me lol.
Quote by Radriegal
Here's mine.
'

Oh
My
God

1. Replace XPerl with Pitbull, its prettier and lighter weight.
2. Replace XPerl raid frames with Grid, its prettier, takes up less room, and gives a lot more information. Oh yeah, and its also lighter weight, plus Val knows how to configure it so it won't take you hours.
3. Get Autobar so that you can get rid of most of your buttons for things like poisons, mounts, reagents, foods, flasks, professions, etc.
4. Your chat box is higher than your "space" for buttons and stuffs, its cosmic but I'm anal about GUI perfection.
5. Gearscore addon. Lulz.
6. Foobar is nice, but takes up huge CPU time, and really does nothing for you in return.

I'm just tearing yur gui as an example, nothing personal. You'd probably get a lot more than 4.7 FPS if you used different addons though.

Do you know how much memory your GUI takes up? Next time you are in a raid, hover your mouse over the computer icon on the menu bar, it will tell you the addon memory you are using. My guess is that you are very very high. With less memory and less CPU time spent on the GUI, the better FPS you'll be able to achieve. This of course goes for everyone here, not just Rad. I'm just making an example of his because his is the most recently posted one, and he has things like Foobar/Titan Panel which is resource hungry but really do nothing for you.

The major things about designing a GUI is that you want it to be fully functional, give you a ton of info - but have no clutter, have no unneeded or unused information, don't have multiple addons that could do the same job, and pick the lightest weight addons you can to get the job done.

You'd really be surprised at what a great GUI can do for you.

DK
ROAR DK UI!!!!!!!
I have reasons.

I only use the raid frames to click on people's names (or to see who's dead). I don't use it for anything else. I don't cleanse or buff people, so I don't need to see any of that. I have squares about as small as humanly possible while still being able to see their names and health. No other addon is going to do it smaller -- and I'm not sure another addon will let me paste it to the left edge of my screen where it's out of my way. I don't know how people play with a 5 x 5 block of names in their field of vision. It drives me nuts.

I *hate* autobar. I tried using it a long time ago and got nothing but errors with it. Yes, I'm sure it was an old version and they've fixed all that by now, but my experience with it is soured. It was a monumental headache to set up, and nothing ever worked on it. I like having my *necessary* buttons available in a miniaturized version, pasted to the right wall, out of the way ... and I don't want a giant bar of icons popping out at me if I happen to accidentally mouse over it in the middle of a fight.

The chat window size (and the x-perl raid frames being out of adjustment) just occured that day when I tried something different with the size of my screen before the raid. It is fixed now.

Gearscore addon is for quick scanning people in Dalaran for recruiting purposes.

I use Fubar for one reason... to show my Auld Lang Sang addon. It's the only one that will show it, and I can't live without that addon.
Look at my screenshots. You see the "greyed out" bar on the right? That's autobar. It goes to almost invisible when i don't have my mouse over it, and shows itself when I do. Yes, it was a #($*ing pain in the #($*ing @#( to setup. It really was. Took me at least an hour. But... now that its setup nicely, I could always just upload my settings for you.

What is Auld Lang Sang?

Oh, and look at my screenies... does Grid look like its in the way at all? its TINY, way smaller than XPerl could get

DK
I've kicked around the idea of giving Autobar another chance, but I just haven't seen the need for it at this point.

Auld Lang Sang shows people in-guild and on friends list. It opens a screen on mouse-over that shows all comments (guild and personal), where they're at (I don't want to bug people when they're in a raid), if they're in your group (or, NOT in your group, so I can quickly see who might be online and eligible to sub in during a raid), etc. You can also open a WIM window with them just by clicking the list. It's just highly convenient for me.

I'll screenshot the opened window. It is probably my favorite addon ever, and I'm sad because nobody has updated it in forever. I know, eventually, it will stop working one of these patches.

Consider though, that being a GM, I probably have slightly different needs from my addons. I'm active on the social networking side of things, so being able to see people and acquire information about them quickly, is hugely important for me.
Quote by Deathkoil
Look at my screenshots. You see the "greyed out" bar on the right? That's autobar. It goes to almost invisible when i don't have my mouse over it, and shows itself when I do. Yes, it was a #($*ing pain in the #($*ing @#( to setup. It really was. Took me at least an hour. But... now that its setup nicely, I could always just upload my settings for you.

What is Auld Lang Sang?

Oh, and look at my screenies... does Grid look like its in the way at all? its TINY, way smaller than XPerl could get

DK

Um I accomplished the same thing as autobar in about 3 minutes.....

Bartender, you can make it where the bar rotates vertically instead of horizontally - drag it to the side, put all your pets/bags/professions on it, and then in bartender check the 'hide in combat' option for just that bar.

Easy peasy, 3 minute setup.

Edit: You can also adjust the scale of just that bar to make it smaller than your normal buttons as well.

--
I try to take things one day at a time...but sometimes several days attack me at once!
Oh... and grid.

I could make x-perl that small if I wanted to. I can reduce it to 1% size, but I need to be able to see people's names in the boxes.

A stack of colored boxes does me no good. I may as well not have raid frames if that's all I'm going to see.
Quote by Radriegal
Oh... and grid.

I could make x-perl that small if I wanted to. I can reduce it to 1% size, but I need to be able to see people's names in the boxes.

A stack of colored boxes does me no good. I may as well not have raid frames if that's all I'm going to see.

Grid puts the first 4-5 letters of everyone's name in it. The colors are just by class and you can change the option to show everyone in one color.

--
I try to take things one day at a time...but sometimes several days attack me at once!
By the way, if anyone knows how to get Elkano's to just show YOUR debuffs on the boss, please let me know.

This has been problematic since day one, not knowing which deadly poison debuff, or rupture debuff came from me, or from another rogue.
1. Replace XPerl with Pitbull, its prettier and lighter weight.
2. Replace XPerl raid frames with Grid, its prettier, takes up less room, and gives a lot more information. Oh yeah, and its also lighter weight, plus Val knows how to configure it so it won't take you hours.
3. Get Autobar so that you can get rid of most of your buttons for things like poisons, mounts, reagents, foods, flasks, professions, etc.

I've tried, he won't take my advice. He plays what he's comfortable with, changing things makes him stress out. *shrug*

--
Heh.

I wish my brain worked in such a way that I could find people in the heat of battle by using the first few letters of their name.

And looking at DK's screen, it looks like I would have to increase the size of grid significantly just to get those 4 or 5 letters to show up. Then I'm starting at a giant wall of raid frame then, which is what I'm primarily trying to avoid.
Quote by Valectra
I've tried, he won't take my advice. He plays what he's comfortable with, changing things makes him stress out. *shrug*

I play what meets my needs.

If you can get grid to show me what I need to see (which is nothing more than people's names) and fit it conveniently *out of my way* along the left side so it's not in my field of vision, I'll use it.

And if it will work for that, then I'll have no need for x-perl anymore and would happily give Pitbull a try.

I love FuBar and couldn't live without it. The times that I have logged in on a friend's computer I feel utterly and completely lost bc I can't see (with a quick mouseover), which of my friends/guildies are online, and where they are, how much gold I have, how long until WG, etc, etc, etc.

These are my FuBar addons that I love the most and find it hard to live without:

AtlasFu
MoneyFu
DurabilityFu
FriendsFu
GuildFu
ExperienceFu
TrackerFu
ProfessionsFu
WintergrasperFu
FactionsFu
BartenderFu
BagFu

I especially love ProfessionsFu

With regard to Grid. I also couldn't live without it. Even on non-healing toons. I would go nuts if I didn't know what is going on in my raid, at all times. I even use Grid on my Warrior and Rogue.

I generally try to take a mental note of where everyone is listed in my Grid. Usually the tanks, Chauthen and one other random are in Group one, which helps me, as a healer. Last night, both Chauthen and Elaraa were in Group 3, and Kaelik and someone else were in group 1...which totally wrecked my brain all night
Quote by Radriegal
Heh.

I wish my brain worked in such a way that I could find people in the heat of battle by using the first few letters of their name.

And looking at DK's screen, it looks like I would have to increase the size of grid significantly just to get those 4 or 5 letters to show up. Then I'm starting at a giant wall of raid frame then, which is what I'm primarily trying to avoid.

Mine shows four letters

They don't do me any good if I can't see them. lol

I guess the question with grid is, does it ONLY come in a 5 x 5 configuration? I can't use a 5 x 5. My screen area simply isn't big enough for it. Perhaps if I was rocking a 24" widescreen I could accomodate such a thing without it intruding into my field of vision.
I just use the stock Blizz raid frames. No need to be fancy. Just need em for the random Midirect that I don't have macroed.

Course, I also got used to playing with my camera set clear out anyways from the days of doing Void Reaver and avoiding his damn Arcane Orbs, so when I need to bite someone (and it's never been a melee) I can find em pretty quick being zoomed out.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Retreat hell, we just got here.

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
[Back to Index]
78 Unique Guild Members
183 Characters (alts included)
0 Raiding Characters
81 Website/Forum Members
0 Posts in 24 hours
0 Posts in 7 days
Biebi is the last poster
78 Unique Guild Members
183 Characters (alts included)